- Published: Monday, 12 December 2016 09:36
- Written by Jamie Taylor
Victoria is a Level 2 Serpentine, and also comes to our Daytime Improver/Intermediate class on Tuesdays. She has also performed in our Studio Showcase.
1) I started poling when a friend asked me along to her pole party. I went along somewhat reticently. I wasn't sure what to expect and whether my health was good enough to let me participate.
As it turned out, my worries were totally unfounded; the class was so much fun, I was able to work within my own limitations and I quickly learnt that pole dancing in all its forms is not only empowering but has a philosophy of respecting and honouring women.
2) My body is so much stronger since I started poling which makes me feel more confident and allows me to manage my illnesses better. But more importantly, I have had tremendous psychological improvements; I feel happier, I feel a sense of accomplishment, I have a new respect for my body and what it can do. My whole focus has changed. Now, instead of focusing on what I can't do, I focus on what I can do and how I can improve.
3) I love being part of such a diverse and inclusive group of women. Our age ranges, cultures, religions, experiences, beliefs, abilities and body shapes and sizes vary widely but we share a sense of pride and community. We all offer each other support and encouragement and enjoy one another's successes.
4) My advice to anyone considering joining is to come along and give it a go. Invest in yourself and do something amazing. Learn something new about yourself. There are so many classes and workshops on offer that you will definitely find one to suit you.